A new race from the organizers of the Detroit Women’s Half Marathon & 5K promises chocolate — lots and lots of chocolate — not only as part of post-race festivities, but also on the course and as part of sweet race swag. The inaugural Hot Cocoa Classic 5K & Mountain Mile takes place Saturday, Nov. 8 at Mt. Brighton, which recently underwent significant renovations. Having previously collaborated with the fabulous women of Epic Races, the company behind numerous multi-sport and endurance events in Michigan, I wanted to learn more about their newest offering and share it with you all. Here’s more details about the Hot Cocoa Classic 5K & Mountain Mile from race director Mary Culbertson:
How did the idea of this race come about?
Last year I visited Mt. Brighton to check out their $10 million upgrade project after being purchased by Vail Resorts. I was blown away when I saw the improvements. Being a race director, I of course start picturing runners on the path going up the hill and around the grounds of the golf course. The idea of a race at Mt. Brighton was born. I checked in with Taylor Ogilvie, the General Manager at Mt. Brighton. Being an ultra marathoner, he jumped at the chance to be the title sponsor for the event. He offered the lodge for packet pick-up and post-race festivities. Naturally, if post-race festivities are in the lodge, we’ll be serving Hot Cocoa, hence the Mt. Brighton Hot Cocoa 5K Classic. We are all about promoting all great things local!
How would you describe the course and the overall race experience?
The overall course is a beautiful mix of scenery on both the ski resort side and golf course at Mt. Brighton.The terrain is mostly path with some fun trail mixed in.
Most importantly, let’s talk chocolate: just how much chocolate will there be?
We will have tons of chocolate: first, we will have some along the course before the “chocolate tunnel” on the 5K and then again at the post-race party fireside in the Ski Hill Grill. Participants will be able to warm up with hot cocoa, enjoy Sander’s Dark Chocolate Fruit and Snack Dip, and Flatout sandwiches with chocolate and hazelnut spread with banana, yum!
How about awards?
We have awesome awards for overall finishers and age group 5 deep for both the 5K and “Double Shot” course.
- 5K overall male/female winner — season pass to Mt. Brighton
- 5K Masters male/female winner — four one-day passes to Mt. Brighton
- Mountain Mile overall male/female winner — one-day pass to Mt. Brighton
- Mountain Mile Masters male/female winner — one-day pass to Mt. Brighton
- Double Shot of Cocoa overall male/female winner — season pass to Mt. Brighton
- Double Shot of Cocoa Masters male/female winner — four one-day passes to Mt. Brighton
- Top five finishers in each age group — a pair of super-cool gloves ( 5k and Double Shot only)
- Kids age Group Awards – 5-6, 7-8, 9-10, 11-12, 13-14 (5 deep)
Each Finisher will receive the following;
- The sweetest finisher’s medal around (special medal for Double Shot participants)
- A finisher’s mug filled with delicious gluten-free hot cocoa
- A super-soft, high-quality race T-shirt (Double Shot Participants will also receive a super soft long sleeve thermal)
- The best post-race feast around
- A goodie bag filled with samples and stuff from our sponsors
- Chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate!
The Cocoa Classic 5K is sponsored by Mt. Brighton, Sanders Fine Chocolates, Flatout Bread,Title Boxing Club of Brighton and Ann Arbor, and Tri-Covery. Organizers also are partnering with the American Lung Association. Click here to find out more about the Powered by Lungs Hot Cocoa Race Team.
Online registration for the 5K and mountain mile (or both, if you sign up for the “Double Shot”) end Nov. 5 at noon.
- $32 Mountain Mile
- $47 5K
- $72 Double Shot (less than 100 spots left)
Registration will be open at Packet Pick up and race day if the race has not sold out, but prices go up:
- $37 Mountain Mile
- $52 5k
- $82 Double Shot
Ready to sign on? Register here »