We’ve got lots of snow still on the ground but I’m hopeful that spring truly is going to arrive. Any second now would be great. Ever the optimistic, this week I broke out my new Brooks Cascadia trail-running shoes and wore them for a wintry run—partly to see how they handled snowy roads (still needed my Yaks given the roads were especially slick beneath the fresh snow) but mostly to break ‘em in. I can feel it—I will be wearing these beautiful kicks on the dirt and mud very, very soon.
Like I said, I am optimistic. It is almost April.
Like everyone else in Michigan (and other states dealing with springtime snow), I’m aching for warm breezes, clear roads and trails, and sunshine. I’d even take rain, lots and lots of rain to get things green, so long as it’s not the icy kind. I can do drenched runs on a warm spring day, just no more miles in frigid, bone-chilling-cold weather, pretty please.
Along with breaking out my new running shoes, I’ve signed on for a new trail race here in northern Michigan, a 25K that’s one of several courses offered during the inaugural two-day Traverse City Trail Running Festival, set for April 12-13. I am super excited about this new event—there’s something for everyone, from kids to ultra runners—and the best news I have to share is that you, my dear readers, have the chance to run this race, too. I’ve got two entries to give away, thanks to the generous guys behind Endurance Evolution, the Michigan-based event management company that’s putting on the TC Trail Running Festival.
I had so much fun giving away two entries to last December’s inaugural Farmland 5K, and I’m just as thrilled to be able to do the same for this brand new race. Here’s what you need to do if you’d like your name to be entered to win one of two entries to the event:
- Check you calendar to make sure you can attend the Festival and participate in one of the events, which include: 10K Relay (Friday, April 12), 11K, 25K and 50K, all held Saturday, April 13. More race details at the Endurance Evolution site.
- Post in the comment section below why you would like to run this race—are you a trail runner at heart? Have you always wanted to try an off-road race? Are you just ready to get your running shoes dirty? Maybe like me you’re wanting to infuse something fun and different into your spring marathon training. Tell your story, it can be short and sweet or long and detailed. However you want to say it.
- The giveaway will close at noon EST Friday, March 29th. Winners will be announced that weekend, March 30-31 here, on the Michigan Runner Girl site and the Michigan Runner Girl Facebook page.
- I will use random.org to select the winners.
And a few more cool details about this race (in case you need a bit more encouragement to throw your name into the hat…):
- Endurance Evolution announced this week that Short’s Brewing Company is the official recovery beer of the Traverse City Trail Running Festival. Yum. The Official Shorts Brewing Company will be serving their goodness on Saturday (April 13) at the finish line at Timber Ridge RV & Recreation Resort. Racers that are 21+ will get a free pint on Endurance Evolution.
- The courses will take runners through the Pere Marquette Forest on a variety of singletrack and two track trails. The festival begins with a two-person 10K relay (each runner runs 5K) on Friday evening, and the individual 11K, 25K, and 50K run get underway on Saturday morning.
- A portion of the proceeds from this event will go to TART Trails.
Looking forward to reading your comments and giving away these two entries! And if you’ve already signed on for the race, let us know why you decided to sign on… See you all there!